There is indeed one thing that we all have in common – the world we live in. This April 22nd, we all have a chance to play our part in being a little more mindful of our home.
Here are a few of our favorite ways to celebrate Earth Day at the office.
Conserve Energy & Electricity.
- Consider updating your office light bulbs. There are a lot of different options out there that you can choose from that are significantly better for the environment.
- Another way to conserve energy is to actually turn your electronics off. Have everyone at the office shut down their computers when they go home.
- If possible, those who can should be encouraged to take the stairs instead of the elevators.
Avoid anything that is single-use as much as possible!
- Stop drinking from plastic bottled water! Encourage everyone to have a water bottle at hand which they can refill at the office. As a side-note, water bottles can be fantastic corporate gifts for everyone in the office.
- An engaging activity idea could involve challenging everyone to drink 8 glasses of water a day, or having everyone bring their own packed lunch. Having everyone find ways to recycle could also be a year-round practice for the office.
- Minimize your waste. This means reusing containers and other every day products that would otherwise have gone to landfills.
- If you can’t avoid single-use products, strategically place recycling bins around the office to encourage everyone to properly dispose of their trash. Segregate common waste products such as paper, plastic, aluminum, glass and items like batteries, ink cartridges, and other materials with potentially harmful contents.
Encourage carpooling among your team.
- Start walking or riding your bike when possible.
- Also consider taking the bus or metro, or even carpooling to the office. Not only will this be a great way for you to be more active or catch up with colleagues, but not having your car every single day will reduce greenhouse gas emissions which is harmful to the atmosphere.
Meat that has been industrially farmed has a tremendously detrimental impact on the environment. More and more organizations and studies are urging people to consume less meat as farming livestock proves to be incredibly detrimental to our environment. You can read more about it here and here.
- Host a vegan lunch to let the office know that there are a lot of delicious meat-free options out there!
- Also look into hosting a famers’ market in the office to grace everyone with locally-sourced seasonal fruits and vegetables. You will also be helping out our farmers.
Plants in the office.
- Indoor plants are more than just decorative. They can also be important to the maintenance of the air inside homes and offices. Host a Terrarium Party to give everyone in the office a break from work. Colleagues can leave their plants on their desks, brightening up the office.
- Terrarium classes are also informative and a great way to learn more about air plants and succulents.
Volunteer or donate as a company to environmental organizations.
- There are a lot of organizations out there whose vision is to make the earth a better place. Invite someone from a local environmental organization to come to the workplace and give a talk.
- Perhaps there’s already a team member or coworker who is part of an environmental movement and would be willing to lead a brown-bag discussion at lunchtime.
Host an informative workshop.
- Awareness is the key to raising environmentally-friendly mindsets. Check out our Experience Catalog to book informative workshops on composting and reducing waste.
There’s always something more that everyone can do for something they care about. Cultivating awareness can shift the company’s mindset and culture into one that thinks twice about eating meat or purchasing a plastic water bottle. After all, it’s always easier to do something when you perfectly understand why you’re doing it.